This apple cobbler recipe has a nutty twist! It’s a delicious combo that makes a perfect dessert.
This apple cobbler recipe is nothing short of perfect for the holidays. It’s light on the stomach (great after a heavy, holiday meal!), full of delicious, apple and cinnamon flavor and smells like pure heaven while it’s in the oven. Seriously, when people smell your kitchen, they may never leave again. I leave it up to you to decide if that’s a good thing…
Personally, I LOVE it when people gather around the kitchen. All that laughter and warm conversation; the smells of a holiday meal cooking in the oven; the occasional wafting aroma of a wonderfully comforting cup of coffee; and best of all, the general, relaxed atmosphere that says, “everybody is safe, happy and enjoying themselves”.
This cobbler definitely exudes that feeling.
And since this year is a bit different, this is a great dessert to enjoy for smaller gatherings as well. Plus, it freezes well if you have leftovers that won’t get eaten right away.
Pull the family into the kitchen and get them to help you! Great memories are always made in the kitchen. And making apple cobbler will certainly be a sweet addition to those memories.
MORE HEALTHY COBBLER RECIPES:
WHOLE WHEAT PASTRY DOUGH RECIPE:
Whole Wheat Pastry Dough For Cobblers
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup oil (light flavored like grapeseed oil)
- ½ cup milk (or unsweetened almond milk)
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Knead all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Roll out dough on a flat work surface until it is no more than 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut ½ inch strips about the length of the casserole dish you will be baking the cobbler in.
- Lay the strips across the top of your cobbler both vertically and horizontally, allowing some holes in between the crossings.
- Bake to cobbler directions.
APPLE COBBLER RECIPE:
Apple Cobbler Recipe (With Hazelnuts)
- 1/2 batch cobbler pastry (see link above for recipe)
- 6 cups apples (skins & cores removed and apples sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp. arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Make your pastry dough. Have it sliced and ready to go.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a large baking or casserole dish.
- Top the fruit filling with the pastry dough.
- Brush with milk and dust with cinnamon.
- Put in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Apples should be bubbly when you pull them out.