As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, clean eating cheese sticks exist. Or more precisely, clean eating air fryer cheese sticks. Yum!!
I got an air fryer for Christmas. I’m not sure I knew what I was getting myself into with this thing, but I’m glad I have the chance to try it out. I want to do a few recipes in it before I do a full review, which I promise to do in the next month or so. I just need to cook a few recipes in it first to get a feel for the appliance.
To me, air fryer means “lower fat junk food”. I’m not sure why I make that association other than the whole point of an air fryer is to be able to “fry” with less or even zero oil.
So I gave these cheese sticks a shot because I happened to have some in the cheese drawer of my fridge and they needed to be used up. We don’t eat a lot of cheese in this house these days. It was a package of regular, full-fat cheese sticks. I unwrapped them and got to work making a clean breading mix.
Now most people will use bread crumbs for a recipe like this, but I just didn’t have any handy. But that didn’t seem to affect the outcome of the final dish. They were delicious. In fact, Mini Chef hates cheese and he actually gave these a thumbs up. I take that as pretty high praise these days.
CONSIDERING AN AIR FRYER?
This is the one I got (affiliate link):
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
Clean Eating Air Fryer Cheese Sticks Recipe
- 6 snack-size cheese sticks (the individual ones you buy for kids)
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour (any type - pastry or white whole wheat work well)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground rosemary
- Unwrap your cheese sticks and set aside.
- Crack and beat your eggs with a fork a shallow bowl that is wide enough to fit the length of the cheese sticks.
- In another bowl (or plate), mix the flour, cheese and seasonings.
- Roll the cheese sticks in the egg, then in the batter. Repeat until the cheese sticks are well coated.
- Place them in the basket of your air fryer, ensuring they don't touch.
- Cook to your air fryer's directions. On mine, the temperature was 370 F. for 6-7 minutes.
- Serve with a clean marinara or ketchup (or ranch dressing!)
- DON'T HAVE AN AIR FRYER? NOT TO WORRY!
- Freeze your cheese sticks before you bread them.
- Follow the directions for breading and then place them on a parchment lined dish and freeze again.
- When completely frozen, preheat oven to 400 F. The oven must be fully pre heated.
- Place the frozen cheese sticks in the hot oven for about 4-5 minutes. They should be golden brown.
- Cool and serve.