As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These vegan chocolate waffles are simply to-die for delicious! Like having brownies for breakfast!
It really is very much like having brownies for breakfast. Only, much healthier and without any added guilt. They are totally plant-based, use whole grain flour and plenty of other good-for-you ingredients.
I made a non-vegan version years ago for this blog, but the recipe contained eggs. So I thought I’d redo it as a vegan recipe and I’m sure happy I did!
While I was vegan, waffles became a thing again in my house, and me and my little guy couldn’t have been happier.
And before you feel guilty having chocolate for breakfast, keep in mind that chocolate is actually pretty darn healthy for us if you pick your chocolate well. It’s typically the stuff that gets added to it that makes it so unhealthy. So pick a good quality cocoa powder and good quality chocolate chips and you’ll feel much better about things. I personally used Lily’s chocolate chips because they are easiest on my blood sugar. But Enjoy Life is another good brand and I’m sure there are some others out there. Anything with dark chocolate is going to be healthier than milk chocolate, so keep that in mind when shopping for ingredients. The higher the cocoa percentage, the healthier it is!
MORE VEGAN WAFFLES:
VEGAN CHOCOLATE WAFFLES RECIPE:
Vegan Chocolate Waffles Recipe
- waffle maker
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 3 tbsp. coconut sugar (or Sucanat or other unprocessed sugar)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together all the dry ingredients, mixing well with a whisk.
- Add in the almond milk, oil and vanilla and stir gently. Make sure all the dry mix is incorporated into the batter off the bottom of the bowl, but don't over mix. Stir gently. A few, small lumps are okay.
- Allow the batter to sit for 5-10 minutes. It will become slightly "puffy".
- Grease your waffle iron and ladle on some batter. Cook according to your waffle maker's instructions.
- When done, remove from griddle and allow to cool just slightly before serving.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy.