As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This tofu stir fry recipe is not only great for lunch or dinner, but it also makes a tasty breakfast too. It features tofu seasoned with Chinese five spice!
A while back, I went vegan. At first, I dedicated myself to it for one week to see what the results would be. It was an adventure for sure!
The intent was to, of course, stick with it. But in all honesty, it was a grand experiment to see how my blood sugar would handle a vegan diet plan. As a pre-diabetic, I’ve watched the iThrive documentary, the What The Health documentary, Food Inc., and all those other documentaries that tell you that the cure for everything, diabetes included, is to learn how to start a vegan diet.
Thankfully, there are delicious stir fry recipes like this tofu stir fry because we love Chinese food!
HOW DO YOU MAKE TOFU STIR FRY WITHOUT IT FALLING APART?
The key is to reduce moisture. There is a lot of water in tofu, especially soft varieties. As a result, the tofu will fall apart during the cooking process.
To avoid this problem, use firm tofu when you make vegan Chinese recipes with tofu. Firm tofu is pressed together in a way that it can handle gentle stir frying.
I should note that this is most likely not a great vegan stir fry for kids. I made this while Mini Chef was at his dad’s for the weekend. While I totally enjoyed the tofu stir fry, I think the intensity of Chinese five spice tofu may be a bit much for the palate of most kids.
But ya, I’ll be making this vegan stir fry again. Yum!
If you love the flavor of Chinese five spice, try it in this recipe. It’s an easy vegan stir fry to make for dinner tonight!
TOFU STIR FRY RECIPE:
Tofu Stir Fry
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cups red cabbage (chopped)
- 2 large green onions
- 7 oz. firm tofu (chopped - 1/2 a package/block)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. powdered ginger
- ¼ tsp. Chinese Five Spice (found in the spice aisle)
- tamari (to taste at serving)
- Prepare all your veggies and tofu, and have your spices on hand.
- In a large skillet, combine all ingredients and cook until the tofu is warmed through. Don't overcook the cabbage.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with tamari sauce to your liking.
- For an extra kick, you can add a little fresh green onion for garnish as well.