As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This watermelon lemonade is the most refreshing summer drink for hot summer days!
The heat this summer has not been pleasant, but it does have one great thing to offer. Freshly made lemonade!!
When it gets sweltering hot out, I start to turn to foods that are lighter and fresher. Foods like watermelon that help keep me hydrated. This was a last-minute inspiration after cutting into a watermelon I had no hope of eating before it went bad. Love it when that happens!!
Who Made Lemonade?
This pops up as one of the top questions asked about lemonade. But the truth is, there is no name to attach to this summertime beverage. However, the first record of lemonade was first recorded in Egypt in the 12th century. It then spreads out across the globe from there.
What Does Watermelon Lemonade Taste Like?
It tastes like lemonade, but with a watermelon flavor. It’s a nice blend of tangy lemonade with the sweetness and flavor profile of watermelon. Delicious!
How To Make Homemade Lemonade
While techniques for making lemonade can vary, there are certain tips I can give you for making this particular lemonade.
- I used a Vitamix blender. If you have a lower-powered blender, you may have to strain some of the residual chunks out of the drink before pouring it into your glass.
- The cilantro is optional. However, if you enjoy cilantro, try crushing up a sprig with your fingers, shoving it down into the glass, and then pouring your drink. You only need one sprig. Delish!
- If you multiply the recipe for more people, make sure you prepare this in batches.
Healthy Lemonade Recipe
Lemonade doesn’t have to be a total sugar bomb. I mean, there is always going to be sure in lemonade, but it doesn’t have to be processed or really horrible healthy-wise. Stick to simple, real-food ingredients, and you’ll end up with a delicious cup of lemonade every single time.
How To Make Fizzy Lemonade
Fizzy (or sparkling) lemonade is delicious stuff! While this particular recipe has no need for added water, you can certainly add a small amount of sparkling water to jazz up your lemonade. Just don’t go overboard because you don’t want to water this one down too much. A good, plain, sparkling, or mineral water will do the trick. Simply add to taste in your glass!
- Chop the watermelon small for more accurate measuring and measure directly into the blender.
- Add the lemon juice and sweetener. I used stevia, but use whatever sweetener you’re comfortable with, a little at a time to taste.
- Blend other fresh fruits into this to change up the flavor. Other types of melon work well.
- If you’d like to make this into more of an adult drink, try this with a splash of rum, tequila, or vodka.
About The Ingredients
Seedless watermelon – chopped small for measuring.
Lemon juice – Freshly squeezed or bottled.
Stevia – or another clean sweetener, to taste
How To Make Watermelon Lemonade
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, you may not get this as smooth as you’d like. If that’s the case, filter the watermelon juice and pulp through a fine mesh sieve before serving.
Pour over ice, garnish with fresh cilantro (if you enjoy cilantro), and sip in the summer sun!
How To Store Watermelon Lemonade
Keep this in a large pitcher or container with a lid. Store it in the fridge for up to 4 or 5 days.
If you want to freeze this, try freezing it into popsicles! Or make watermelon cubes (ice cubes) to blend up later for a slushy-style drink.
Ways To Serve Watermelon Lemonade
Serve with some lemon slices in the pitcher, and one per glass.
Add fresh mint leaves or any herbs you prefer.
You’ll want a good blender and a larger pitcher for this recipe. You can purchase any of the products below from Amazon by clicking on the image. (Affiliate links)
More Lemonade Recipes
More Watermelon Recipes
Watermelon Lemonade Recipe
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- 6 cups watermelon (chopped small for measuring)
- ½ cup lemon juice
- stevia (or other clean sweetener) to taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour over ice, garnish with fresh cilantro (if you enjoy cilantro) and sip in the summer sun!
Recipe from the Gracious Pantry® archives, originally posted 7/1/18.