As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These clean eating buttermilk pancakes will get your morning off to a tasty start!
Buttermilk pancakes are a beautiful thing on an lazy weekend morning.
But the truth is, most folks are used to buttermilk pancake mix. That powdered stuff you buy in a box or bag. The resulting pancakes are very sweet, and pretty much taste nothing like buttermilk.
But when you make pancakes with REAL buttermilk, you add a whole new world of flavor to your morning! And trust me, it’s so worth it.
My favorite way to eat these is with some pure maple syrup. The sweet of the syrup pairs up so nicely with the sour of the buttermilk. It’s a wonderful combination.
CLEAN EATING BUTTERMILK PANCAKES RECIPE:
Clean Eating Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups buttermilk
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until most of the lumps are gone.
- Keeping the heat on low, pour batter onto a hot pan and cook on one side until you have "swiss cheese holes" come through and the top no longer looks wet (see photo below).
- Flip and cook until brown. These pancakes will be a little more brown than normal pancakes when they are done. This does not affect the flavor. If they burn before you flip them, the heat is too high. These take some time to cook, so be patient.
- Please Note: The key to making these is your patience. They need to cook low and slow, and remember to keep them on the thin side. They won't cook all the way through if they are too thick or if they are cooked too fast.