This butternut squash risotto has tender mushrooms and delicious butternut squash puree. It’s a comforting plant-based recipe that makes up much quicker than traditional risotto! Because we use cauliflower rice, this recipe is lower in carbs, too!
RECIPE NOTES FOR THE BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO
Just a few quick notes about the ingredients in this risotto recipe:
ABOUT THE RICE
While you can certainly make butternut squash risotto using traditional short grain rice, I prefer to make cauliflower rice risotto. It is absolutely delicious, totally plant based, and helps you get extra veggies for the day!
Plus, you will save time because cauliflower rice is available in the frozen foods section of most grocery stores now.
CAN YOU BUY BUTTERNUT SQUASH PUREE?
Butternut squash puree is available in the canned aisle but honestly, it is so easy to make! It’s just a matter of pureeing cooked butternut squash in a food processor or even a blender.
If you don’t feel comfortable cutting up a butternut squash, you can buy it already cut into cubes in the produce section.
This simple recipes does require a bit of stirring, but it’s nowhere near the amount of stirring that regular risotto requires. You will do the majority of stirring towards the end of the cooking process so that the butternut squash puree doesn’t burn onto the bottom of the pan.
CAN YOU FREEZE THIS BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO?
Thankfully, this risotto freezes beautifully because the recipe makes a lot of risotto! If you are cooking for one person, you can cut the recipe in half or just freeze the extra. You’ll have enough for lunch the next day too, but I promise, it’s totally worth it.
I like this recipe because dinner is on the table in a little less than 30 minutes. Definitely a “get-a-healthy-dinner-on-the-table-quick” recipe!
So if you need a delicious dinner fast, this butternut squash risotto is definitely one to try. I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
HEALTHY RISOTTO RECIPES:
- Pumpkin Parmesan Risotto
- Quinoa Risotto With Lemon And Roasted Tomatoes – Food & Wine
- Healthy Lemon Basil Risotto – The Clean Eating Couple
- Healthy Mushroom Risotto – Lively Table
BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO RECIPE
Butternut Squash Risotto
- 1 cup vegetable broth (plus extra on reserve if needed)(plus extra on reserve if needed)
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (or riced cauliflower - I used frozen)(or riced cauliflower - I used frozen)
- 2 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. ground sage
- 2 cups butternut squash puree
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 4 oz. grated mozzarella cheese (I used vegan cheese, but you can use whatever cheese you prefer)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional - good if using mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped fine for measuring)
- salt and pepper to taste
- I made my puree from a whole butternut squash by cutting it in half, scooping out the seeds and baking it, cut side down on a cookie sheet with about a 1/2 inch of water in the pan until soft and easily pierced with a knife. Then I blended it until smooth. But you can also purchase butternut puree if you prefer or sub with pumpkin puree.
- In a large skillet or wok, warm the vegetable broth.
- Add the pre-cooked rice (if using) or the riced cauliflower.
- Add in all the spices and butternut puree along with the mushrooms.
- When the broth has cooked down a bit and the mushrooms look cooked, add in the cheese and stir until melted.
- Once the cheese has melted into the sauce, remove the pan from heat and stir in the fresh parsley, saving a little for garnish if you wish.
- Add salt and pepper as desired.