This spaghetti squash spaghetti is a wonderfully tasty and lower carb option for spaghetti night!
I am super new to this delicious squash. In fact, I had never tried it before this. It just wasn’t something I grew up knowing anything about. The photo below was my first taste. I always thought people were crazy for trading in their pasta for squash. I mean, who doesn’t love pasta?
But I finally broke down and bought one, and I swear it was better tasting than regular spaghetti! While the squash does take a long time to bake, you can make your meat balls while you’re waiting. Or (if you don’t want the meatballs) do a bunch of chores or things that need doing while this bakes. I promise, it’s so, so worth it!
The trick is to find a really good (and clean) spaghetti sauce, as the squash will rely heavily on the sauce for the full “spaghetti experience”. But once you have that all picked out, the rest is pretty simple!
Not sure what “clean spaghetti sauce” is or where to find it? Read this for brand suggestions.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPES
SPAGHETTI SQUASH SPAGHETTI RECIPE
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
- 1 large spaghetti squash (baked)
- 12 oz. jar spaghetti sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 ½ lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs (or 4 egg whites)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake your squash as you see fit for approximately 1 hour, or until it's soft and easily pierced with a fork. Once the squash is baked and soft, pull it out of the oven and allow to cool until you can touch it without getting burned. If you haven't already, cut it in half.
- Using a fork, remove the squash from the shell by scraping it from the top of the sides to the center. This will achieve the "spaghetti-like" stings the squash in named for.
- Mix all the turkey meat ingredients together in a bowl, form into meatballs and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F.
- Mix with your squash and sauce, top with a little parmesan and serve.