These clean eating strawberry muffins are a wonderfully sweet treat without added sugar! (Fruit juice sweetened!)
A while back, a fan emailed me asking if I could clean up a recipe for strawberry cupcakes. The recipe was pretty heavily dependent on its fat content which included butter. So instead of a cupcake, I went ahead and converted it to a muffin. Far less fat, and in this case, no added sugar. These are fruit juice sweetened!
While these are not as sweet as some of my other muffin recipes, they are definitely sweet enough when you’ve cut sugar out of your diet, which is what I’ve been doing a lot of lately. But I still love dessert, so I had to come up with something!
Honestly, the fresh strawberries truly “make” this recipe. Without them, it would be a pretty bland muffin. But the second you bite into one, the strawberry flavor fills your mouth and you’ll have a hard time believing they are sweetened only with fruit juice!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING STRAWBERRY MUFFINS RECIPE:
Clean Eating Strawberry Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (affiliate link)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup oil (I used safflower)
- 1 cup apple juice concentrate (from the frozen section - no sugar added)
- 1 cup milk (any kind - I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 3 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 cups fresh, chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and fresh strawberries. Set aside. (You want to coat the strawberries with flour so they don't sink to the bottom of your muffins while baking)
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, apple concentrate, milk, vanilla, and apple sauce.
- Pour the liquid into the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Spoon into muffin tins or papers and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin pulls out clean.
- Allow to cool completely. These are not like other muffins where they taste best out of the oven. These truly do taste their best when they are completely cooled.