A lot of you have asked me for this but I put it off for a while because frankly, I buy my bbq sauce. It’s clean, and I love it. But I also understand that many of you may not have access to buying clean bbq sauce. So I relented and whipped this up for dinner the other night.
My ex husband loved it, Mini Chef refused to even try it (he’s was going through a phase), I enjoyed it but wish I had put it on the chicken while it was still on the bbq. I just schmeared it on after the chicken was done, and that was not such a hot idea. The flavors never got a chance to meld well. But it was good! We even dipped polenta into it. Yum! And needless to say, I think it will be a while before I buy bbq sauce again.
Clean Eating BBQ Sauce
(Makes approximately 10 servings)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce – no sugar added
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste – no sugar added
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup olive oil (or any oil you prefer)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 4 tablespoons unsulfered molasses
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Combine all ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl and mix well using a whisk.
- Use as you would any other bbq sauce!