As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This chicken stew recipe with butternut squash is perfect for an autumn or winter dinner.
The spices come to the forefront with nutmeg and sage enhancing the flavors of both the squash and chicken. This is a wonderful meal prep dish as it will freeze very well for up to 6 months.
This soup has a nice balance of flavor and good nutrition. Navy beans have the highest fiber count of any bean, and there is enough chicken to give you plenty of protein for dinner. This would be lovely served with a green salad and some crusty garlic bread. The leftovers are just as good, so you can take some for lunch the next day as well.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN STEW
The process for this recipe is two simple steps. Sautéing the vegetables and herbs, and then combining everything and simmering it in a large soup pot. You could technically just dump everything into a soup pot and boil it until it’s done. But you miss out on much of the flavor if you don’t sauté things first. Skipping the sautéing process could leave you with a much blander soup. So bust out that skillet!
This will last in the fridge up to 4 days and will freeze best if frozen in single servings. You can technically freeze everything in one big batch, but that will make defrosting a big pain. Yes, that’s personal experience talking. Trust me.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE CHICKEN STEW RECIPES:
CHICKEN STEW RECIPE WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH
Chicken Stew Recipe With Butternut SquashPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 4 cups diced butternut squash (small dice)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium shallot (both cloves - chopped)
- 4 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (cut into chunks)
- 1 cup sliced carrots (I used baby carrots)
- 2 cups cooked navy beans (if canned, drained and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot powder (make a slurry with a bit of the broth)
- Prep all the vegetables as indicated.
- In a large skillet, sauté the squash, onions and shallot. Sauté them until the squash starts to soften. Then add in the garlic and continue stirring for about 1-2 minutes more.
- Stir in the herbs and cook for just a moment more, until the aromas begin to waft up.
- Combine the sautéd vegetables and all remaining ingredients in a large soup or stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through. (about 20-30 minutes, depending on how large your chicken pieces are).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!