As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The very best avocado toast is easy to make. It’s totally delicious and super healthy. Aside from cereal and milk, it’s probably one of the easiest and fastest breakfasts you can make too.
I’ve been an avocado toast fan for years now. There’s nothing quite like it. Today’s recipe is a very basic recipe, and I’ll be doing more in a series for different types of avocado toast. So stay tuned for more ideas to come.
What Is Avocado Toast?
Avocado toast is toasted bread with smashed avocado on it. And most folks will season the avocado in some way. It’s kind of like spreading jam on toast in the morning; only it’s savory instead of sweet.
Is Avocado Toast Healthy?
It can be, yes. To make it healthy, you must find healthy bread with no added sugars and all whole grains. The avocado itself is perfectly healthy and gives you a good dose of healthy fats, which we all need.
The salt and pepper or any other toppings you care to add are simply for flavor, though some toppings can add to the health benefits of avocado toast.
Is It Okay To Eat Avocado Toast Every Day?
It is, as long as you fit everything into your required daily macros. Meaning, don’t go overboard on calories or fats. Keep everything in healthy proportions, and it’ll be just fine.
What Kind Of Bread Is Best For Avocado Toast?
There are so many breads on the market that it’s hard to make a list. But really, the best bread you can use is the one you will eat. The extra tip I will add here is that you want to be careful with flavored bread. While some flavors will pair well with avocados, some won’t. Like the combination of cinnamon bread and avocado. Ick. Stick to flavor pairings that will suit the avocados.
How Do You Make Avocado Toast?
- First, make sure you choose avocados that are perfectly ripe. Harder avocados will be tough to spread on your toast, and they will be somewhat flavorless. Avocados that are too ripe are too strongly flavored for good avocado toast. You want an avocado that is just right.
- Make sure you toast your bread well. It’s not always easy to spread avocado on very soft bread. So toasting it makes this job a lot easier, and it tastes really good as well.
- Add salt and pepper. This may seem basic, but it makes all the difference in flavor.
Avocado Toast Seasoning
You can put just about anything you like on avocado toast. My favorite thing is to play around with the spices. Taco seasoning is delicious sprinkled lightly on top, as are fresh cilantro and sometimes fresh parsley.
How Many Calories In Avocado Toast
The total calories will depend heavily on which bread you use. My nutrition calculator gives a generalized number, so I can tell you on average, and using whole grain bread, this will be around 300 calories for both pieces.
What To Put On Avocado Toast
If you really want to load up on flavor and nutrition, you can load up on veggies and other toppings all you like. Some suggestions are:
- Add cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Chopped bell peppers
- Chopped red onions
- Drizzle on a bit of extra virgin olive oil over the top.
- Sprinkle on a pinch of dill
- Add some bagel seasoning
- Spread a few bits of chopped bacon over the top.
- Add a fried egg.
- Place some cooked salmon on top.
- Add a little feta cheese
- Sprinkle on red pepper flakes for some spice.
- Use a small spoonful of salsa over each piece of toast.
- Add some fresh basil leaves
- Drizzle on some balsamic vinegar
- Add some capers
- Add some sliced cucumbers
- Spritz on a bit of lemon juice
About The Ingredients
Whole grain bread – Get the best quality bread you can get that you will actually eat. Try to avoid processed bread and bread that has added sugar.
Avocado – Choose one that is a little soft to the touch but not mushy. You want one that is perfectly ripe.
Salt – I used pink Himalayan salt. But use whatever salt you normally use on your food. Start lightly, and add more if needed to taste.
Ground black pepper – You don’t have to add much to get the flavor. But I have found that a heavier sprinkle tastes really delicious. It’s all about personal choice. Add as much or as little as you like.
How To Make Avocado Toast
Toast your bread well.
While the bread is toasting, slice your avocado and remove it from the shell.
Place your toasted bread on a cutting board or plate and mash ¼ of an avocado onto each slice of toast with a fork. Spread the mashed avocado as evenly across the piece of toast as you can.
Sprinkle each piece of toast with salt and pepper, and enjoy.
There should be no need for storage, as this is something you want to eat right away. However, if you are packing it for later, you will want to store it in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to eat it. It should be eaten the same day it was made for the best flavor and texture.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Remember to subscribe to my free newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox. Click here to sign up!
Avocado Toast Recipe Card
Avocado Toast Recipe
- 1 toaster
- 1 Sharp knife
- 1 Cutting board
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- ½ medium avocado
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Toast your bread well.
- While the bread is toasting, slice your avocado and remove it from the shell.
- Place your toasted bread on a cutting board or plate and mash ¼ of an avocado onto each slice of toast with a fork. Spread the mashed avocado as evenly across the piece of toast as you can.
- Sprinkle each piece of toast with salt and pepper, and enjoy.