I have a new addiction. The Pinterest.com web site is nothing short of an obsession. And for good reason too! I ran across a recipe for these roasted chickpeas from the Family Fresh Cooking web site and just had to take a crack at them myself.
These would make the perfect, clean snack to have at the movies. (Click here for more clean movie snack ideas.) Clean, healthy and totally portable, these babies have become an instant favorite for me.
Once I made the first batch, I realized that the possibilities for flavoring these little globes of goodness is absolutely endless. You can pretty much pick any spice that you love and it will taste great. Sweet or savory, spicy or salty, these are absolute gems in the snack department. In fact, at the bottom of this recipe you’ll find several suggestions for other flavor combinations.
If you haven’t had these yet, you really should give them a try.
“Simply maaaa-velous! ”
(Extra points in you know who made that last statement famous!)
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
Clean Eating Roasted Chickpeas
(Makes 6 servings)
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (canned or made fresh) – also called garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Other Possible Flavor Combinations:
- Use 3 tablespoons Clean Eating Taco Seasoning + 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Use 3 tablespoons honey + 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- Use flavored oils in just about any flavor
- Use 1 tablespoon garlic powder, juice of 2 lemons + zest and 2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Use 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Garlic and onion powder optional here.
- Use 2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 tablespoon. paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Use 2 tablespoons curry, 1 tablespoon garam masala (spicy!!), 1 tablespoon garlic powder and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Spread the beans out over a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 60 minutes being sure to stir at the 30 minute mark.
- Allow to cool and serve.