I admit, Paula Dean makes some very yummy stuff! But, I also have to say that I avoid it like the plague because once I head down that slippery slope, it’s a tough climb back up to eating clean.
A reader sent me a link to one of Paula Dean’s recipes for biscuits. It had 8 TABLESPOONS (!!!!) of butter in it! That’s pretty much a heart attack before you’ve finished your first biscuit!
So I took the challenge of converting this recipe to one that is far healthier for your heart as well as being clean and tasty.
These turned out very soft and fluffy, especially considering they are 100% whole wheat! They are very quick and easy to make too because there is no rising time and you cook them in a pan instead of an oven.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
Clean Eating Biscuits
(Makes approximately 12 biscuits)
- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk, but any milk will work.)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together until well combined.
- Add the apple sauce, olive oil and milk and stir with a wooden spoon until it becomes thick enough to knead with your hands. When done kneading, you should have a very soft and fluffy dough that is just a tad bit sticky. If it’s still too sticky (meaning the dough truly sticks to your hands), add in 1 tbsp. of flour and knead again. Repeat until you have a soft, yet mildly sticky dough.
- On a well floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Pick up the dough at one end and fold it back over itself so you are folding it in half (This creates the natural separation when you cut your finished biscuits).
- Using a biscuit cutter or small plastic cup, cut out your biscuits.
- Heat up a non-stick pan on high heat, and then reduce the heat to the lowest setting your stove has.
- Cook the biscuits for approximately 15-20 minutes on each side. You need to cook them slowly on very low heat so that they cook all the way through without burning the outsides.
- Remove from heat and serve.