As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This bread pudding recipe made with apple bread is totally worth the bake time and totally fits into a clean eating plan!
Apple bread is delicious stuff! But if you bake it, break it up and turn it into bread pudding (bake it again), it’s amazing! So amazing that this will be on my holiday table this spring.
This is one of those recipes that makes a perfect breakfast for the spring holidays. Things like Easter or Mother’s Day come to mind. Apples are pretty available year round and the rest is just basic ingredients! I used whole grain spelt flour for this and was pretty amazed by how well it turned out. Not that spelt doesn’t bake well, I just expected certain things to be different.
THE BEST BREAD PUDDING RECIPE!
It’s always hard to call something “the best”, because everyone has different tastes. What’s the best to me, may not be the best to you. And I will say that the texture of this isn’t as “spongy” as it is when you use wheat-based flour, but honestly, you don’t even notice because it’s just so good! So let’s just say, it might be one of my personal bests.
- Fresh apple pieces
- Whipped cream (or coconut whipped cream like I used here)
- Extra cinnamon
WHAT TO SERVE THIS WITH:
This is a sweet dish, so pairing it with savory sides will make a great balance.
- Fresh Fruit
- Hard boiled eggs
- Along side waffles or pancakes or croissants
- Scrambled eggs
This is a great brunch dish for occasions like Easter, Mother’s Day, or Father’s Day. In fact, its would be a good fit for pretty much any special breakfast or brunch! It’s not overly soggy and has great apple/cinnamon flavor. Even Mini Chef liked this and he’s gotten pretty picky lately. Give it a try! It’s a good make-ahead and take-along dish too if you’re going to somebody else’s house.
And if you plan on making this for your next special occasion brunch like I do, here are tips for hosting a stress free brunch!
Happy spring holidays!
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
MORE SWEET BREAD RECIPES:
BAKED BREAD PUDDING WITH APPLE BREAD:
Clean Eating Twice Baked Apple Bread Pudding
- 3 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 1 ½ cups coconut sugar (Sucanat works too)
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1//2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup oil
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (for the second bake)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine all the dry ingredient in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mix and add all the wet ingredients.
- Whisk together until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour into an oiled, standard-size loaf pan and bake, loosely covered with foil, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn the loaf out onto a clean, heat-tolerant surface.
- It’s okay if the loaf falls apart when you take it out of the pan and it’s okay if it doesn’t looked fully cooked.
- Break the loaf apart using a fork.
- Transfer the broken bread into a casserole dish and pour 1 cup almond milk over it. (My casserole dish was 9 x 12)
- Bake again, loosely covered with foil, at 350 F. for about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. (Tastes good cold out of the fridge too!)