Turkey Vegetable Pasta Salad Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Turkey Vegetable Pasta Salad is a fabulous, 30 minute meal!
I love the feeling of autumn coming on. The kids are back in school, the leaves start to show a change in color, the evenings start to bring a cool relief after warm sunny days and there is a hustle and bustle in the air that feels homey to me.
It’s that time of year where people start to think about hot chocolate, sweaters, rain boots, splashing in puddles (as long as you don’t live in California… bring on the rain!!) and comforting dinners the family will enjoy while they recount their days at the dinner table.
But the funny part about early autumn is that we still have a lot of summer produce coming in. At least here in the sunshine state. My basil plant is still going strong, the store-bought tomatoes still taste good and most people still have a pepper or two in their gardens.
I haven’t seen pumpkins at the stores yet, but the Halloween decor is out in force and there is no doubt that people will be switching from icy Mocha Frappuccinos to Pumpkin Spice Lattes in the very near future.
As many of you know, I just moved. If you follow me on Facebook, you know what a massive undertaking this has been for me. The past 7 months have been a nightmare with my mom getting sick, having to move overnight to care for her, leaving my life behind and forcing my son to do the same. Then, selling both my mom’s houses (her’s and her rental) so that we could afford a house big enough to house all three of us and moving back up to my beloved Sonoma County. Yep, it’s been a whirlwind.
I can’t pretend I’ve been a perfect clean eater during this time either. But I’ve done the best I could. And now that we’ve nearly settled into the new house (though I may be unpacking boxes for years to come), I feel like I’m very slowly getting back into the swing of things just in time for this lovely, amazing, fantastic time of year. There is just nothing like Autumn in Sonoma County!
I’ve been pretty tired due to the move and a fall down the stairs at 2am while trying to get a drink of water. My body has just had enough (Did I mention I have to shuffle around, organize and unpack about 400 boxes?).
So dinner has to be simple. There is just no way around it. In fact, the very thought of cooking dinner feels overwhelming to me right now. But my mom’s diet is so strict with her condition, that I really have no choice. So I turn on some music, get out my cutting board and see what the fridge has to offer. This clean eating turkey vegetable pasta salad was the result and all three of us loved it!
MORE HEALTH PASTA RECIPES:
TURKEY VEGETABLE PASTA SALAD RECIPE:
Clean Eating Turkey Vegetable Pasta Salad Recipe
- ½ small red onion (chopped)
- 1 medium orange bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil (any oil will work)
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder (yes, it's okay. I know there is already onion in there)
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- fresh basil (chopped or sliced thin for garnish)
- ½ lb. whole wheat rotini pasta (cooked to package directions)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- NOTE ABOUT THE PASTA: This dish is super quick if you already have cooked pasta handy. But if not, no worries. Simply cook the pasta separately while you do everything else and it should finish up about the same time as the meat mixture so that all you have to do is mix them together and dinner is done!
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion and bell pepper in the oil until translucent.
- Add the turkey, garlic powder, onion powder and dried thyme to the skillet and scramble, stirring until the meat is fully cooked.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the meat mixture with the raw tomatoes, fresh basil, cooked pasta and top with parmesan cheese and/or salt and pepper as desired.
We really enjoyed this dish! trying to start a healthier 2016 & this was a great start to it! Loved the flavors & colors! Very easy too..I’m a full time working mom with 2 little kids! Thanks for sharing! Will definitely be making again!
Laura – That’s wonderful! I’m so glad everyone enjoyed it! 😀