As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently realized that I didn’t need a rotisserie to make this Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken. As you can tell from the title, I only needed a slow cooker!
Few things in life feel as homey and wonderful as coming home to a house that smells like dinner is ready and waiting. Better still is when it actually IS ready and waiting.
For as long as I can remember, I have loved rotisserie chicken. The tenderness of the meat outdoes anything I’ve ever been able to bake in an oven or fry in a skillet. But since I don’t have a rotisserie, I’ve always purchased my birdies at Whole Foods (the only place I’ve ever been able to find a clean rotisserie chicken!).
When I wrote my first cookbook, (amazon affiliate link) I started learning a bit more about cooking meats in a slow cooker. I experimented with several and quickly realized that a rotisserie style chicken was completely doable in a slow cooker. And the best part (in my humble opinion), is that you also get some gravy and chicken stock out of the deal. Not too shabby for one little bird!
This particular clean eating slow cooker rotisserie chicken recipe is super simple. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get the bird ready, then you just plop it in the slow cooker, turn it on and forget about it for the next 8 to 10 hours. So your slow cooker will cook dinner for you all day long and provide you with a very tender bird at the end of your work day. Not a bad deal all the way around. And if you really want a complete dinner ready to go, add a few veggies to the crock. Things like carrots, onions and celery do well here.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
- Clean Eating Whole Roasted Chicken
- Clean Eating Chicken Stock/Broth
- How To Get Your Money’s Worth Out Of A Whole Chicken
SLOW COOKER ROTISSERIE CHICKEN RECIPE:
Slow Cooker Rosemary Rotisserie Chicken
- 6 lb. chicken give or take (Do NOT use a frozen chicken!)
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. chopped, fresh rosemary
- 1 medium lemon (sliced, 1/4 inch thick slices – optional)
- If your chicken came with the gizzards, remove them from the cavity of the chicken. (I don’t use them, but if you do, pack them away for another use in the future).
- Mix your spices together in a small bowl and using your hands, coat the whole outside of the chicken with your spices.
- Slide your hand between the skin and the meat, separating the skin from the flesh. Spread any remaining spices under the skin and then slide as many lemons slices as you can under the skin as well.
- If you have any lemon slices left over, stuff them in the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the entire bird in a slow cooker (between 4 and 6 quarts works best). No oil or water is needed. Cook on low for 8 hours. If you want to cook some vegetables with this, simply put them in the slow cooker first and place your chicken on top of them. With veggies, you will need closer to 10 hours. Every slow cooker is different. It’s important to know how your slow cooker cooks.
- IMPORTANT: You absolutely MUST check the temperature of your chicken before removing it from the slow cooker. It should be at least 180 F.
I'm Tiffany, a cookbook author, food lover, mom, and writer for MSN and the AP Newswire.
Looking to stock your freezer for busy weeknights?
I wrote the book! Grab a copy of my book, Clean Eating Freezer Meals on Amazon here, or at select bookstores nationwide!