This healthy creamed corn is so much better then the canned stuff!!
It’s been many years, but I do remember eating creamed corn when I was a little girl. It was tasty, to be sure. But nothing as good as homemade! And for those of you who are dairy free, this recipe doesn’t use any dairy at all! (If you use non-dairy butter, that is.)
I try not to eat too much corn for many reasons. But honestly, there is just nothing quite as good as a dish of salted, buttery corn.
There are countries that think we are crazy for eating corn, because in their eyes, it’s farm animal food. It’s what they use to fatten up their livestock. (It probably fattens us up too!) But on occasion, particularly around the holidays, I enjoy making a batch of this stuff. I will also often take it a step further by doubling the recipe and using half (1 batch) to make corn casserole!
ABOUT CASHEW CREAM:
- If you’ve never made cashew cream before, it’s really quit simple. You need a high-speed blender and some pre-soaked cashews. Once you have those two things, the cashew cream gets made in under a minute because all you have to do is blend!
- The cashew cream is made savory, but the final dish is sweet. So don’t panic. The depth of flavor is wonderful. You won’t regret it.
- You can adjust the sweetness to your liking in the final dish. But start with the recommended amount and add from there once the dish is done. You can always stir in more, but you can’t take any out. So stick with a side of caution.
- The coconut sugar may sound like an odd choice, but the flavor here is fabulous. If you just can’t wrap your brain around using it however, simply substitute it for Sucanat or another unprocessed sugar.
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
More Healthy Corn Recipes
Creamed Corn Recipe
Healthy Creamed Corn
- 2 lb. frozen corn
- 1 cup cashew cream (see below – It’s easy!)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar (or any unprocessed sugar)
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp. whole spelt flour
- In a pan, combine the cashew cream, salt, coconut sugar, pepper, butter, almond milk and flour.
- Whisk together over medium heat. You should have a smooth batter consistency.
- Once it’s warmed up, add the corn and continue stirring until you have a nice, thick, creamed corn consistency. (about 5-10 minutes)
- Remove from heat immediately and serve.
Cashew Cream Recipe
- 1 cup soaked raw cashews (soaked overnight in 3 cups of filtered water)
- 1 cup vegetable broth (no sugar added)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until completely smooth.