As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Instant Pot baked potatoes are one of the easiest, fastest ways to make baked potatoes without using a microwave!
While a microwave will always be the fastest way to cook a baked potato, it does require some degree of tending to. All that piercing with a knife or fork so it won’t explode and then all the testing to see if it’s done can be a bit tedious. Plus, lots of people refuse to use a microwave. I didn’t own one for years before I bought my new house! It was here when I moved in, so now I have one. But I don’t use it often.
Making baked potatoes in an Instant Pot is sort of a “set it and forget it” situation. Just clean your potatoes, put some water and trivet in your IP (notes on what to do without a trivet are below!), set your potatoes on a trivet, and press the buttons. It’s literally 5 minutes of prep at most (I think it took me about 3 minutes), you push a button and walk away until it’s done. I love that! It allows me to focus on the rest of what I’m making for dinner without worrying about my potatoes.
What Goes With Baked Potatoes?
Baked potatoes are one of those side dishes that go with just about anything. You can top them with different things to make a meal out of one as well. Here are some suggestions:
Baked Potato Toppings
- Sour cream
- Bacon (make sure it’s good quality – no sugar bacon is best, many stores sell it now.)
- Cheese (cheddar seems to be most popular)
- Sautéd mushrooms
- Caramelized onions
- Homemade chili
What To Serve With Baked Potatoes
- Veggies of all kinds
Do You Have To Use A Trivet In An Instant Pot?
The short answer is no. However, it all depends on what you are making. There are things you may want to cook in an Instant Pot (like baked potatoes), where you want the food to be lifted out of the required water. And Instant Pot must have at least 1 cup (sometimes 2 cups) of water to cook properly. Not all foods cook well under pressure when they are sitting in water. Baked potatoes are a good example of that.
That being said, if you don’t have a trivet, all is not lost. Read on…
CAN YOU PUT FOIL IN AN INSTANT POT?
Yes! You can use it in three different ways.
- Wrap your food for “food packets”, much like you would on a barbecue. (although, this method is pretty rare and often unnecessary with a pressure cooker. But it can be done!)
- Use a flat sheet that you press down around the inside of the insert so you can easily grab the edges of the foil to lift food out.
- You can ball up pieces of foil to use in place of a trivet. Set your food on the foil balls to lift them out of the water when you don’t have a trivet handy.
How To Make Baked Potatoes In An Instant Pot
Set up your Instant pot where it will be cooking and remove the lid.
Place your trivet inside the IP insert.
Place your cleaned potatoes on the trivet.
Add the water.
Close the lid and the vent. Adjust pressure to high. Press the “Manual” button and adjust time to 25 minutes. When done, allow for at least a 10 minutes natural release. Open the vent, making sure to keep your hands out of the way of the escaping steam.
When the steam is completely released, remove the lid.
You’ll now have perfectly cooked, baked potatoes!
Need Recipe Supplies?
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
More Healthy Potato Recipes
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
CLICK TO WATCH THIS RECIPE IN ACTION!
- Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Trivet
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup water
- Set up your Instant pot where it will be cooking and remove the lid.
- Place your trivet inside the IP insert.
- Place your cleaned potatoes on the trivet.
- Add the water.
- Close the lid and the vent. Adjust pressure to high. Press the "Manual" button and adjust time to 25 minutes. When done, allow for at least a 10 minutes natural release. Open the vent, making sure to keep your hands out of the way of the escaping steam.
- When the steam is completely released, remove the lid.
- You'll now have perfectly cooked, baked potatoes!