This clean eating Mexican wild rice salad recipe makes a great side dish for any Mexican-inspired meal, or a full and satisfying meal for plant based folks!
I’ve really gotten onto the wild rice band wagon lately. It’s not actually rice at all, it’s a grass. But it’s delicious grass if I do say so myself!
I enjoy it because it has less of an impact on my blood sugar than regular rice does. And if it’s cooked correctly, it’s absolutely delicious!
Now when I say, “cooked correctly”, I mean that you have to allow a full hour for cooking. Many of the times I’ve had it over the years, it’s been under cooked. Wild rice should not have a crunch of any kind. It should be soft and fluffy, almost like a regular, white rice, but with more flavor and density.
Wild rice can be hard to pair with certain flavors. But it’s been my experience that if you cook it with vegetable broth, it really opens up the possibilities of what it will pair with flavor-wise. I’m not sure these flavors would have gone well with the rice if I had cooked it in water. So now, thats the only way I cook wild rice.
This clean eating Mexican wild rice salad is a lovely, mild-flavored salad that has the classic flavors you would expect from Mexican fare. It’s wonderful by itself and definitely filling. But it would also make a fantastic side dish for just about any Mexican-inspired main course you care to pair it with.
MORE CLEAN EATING RECIPE:
CLEAN EATING MEXICAN WILD RICE SALAD RECIPE:
Clean Eating Wild Rice Mexican Salad Recipe
- 1 cup wild rice (dry)
- 3 cups vegetable broth (no sugar added)
- 15 oz. can pinto beans (no sugar added or use homemade instead)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder (yes, in addition to the onion - although you can leave this out and taste it before you add it)
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- Combine the dry rice and vegetable broth in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 1 hour.
- Allow to cool for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to release the heat.
- Stir in all other ingredients and serve.