As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This bubble and squeak recipe is a delicious side dish with a fun name and background!
I love the name of this dish. Bubble and Squeak. Sounds almost more like a cleaning product than a meal, but I love the name just the same.
It doesn’t look like much either, even by reading the recipe. But this dish packs a really flavorful punch! In fact, this was my first time making it, and I was absolutely amazed at how flavorful this dish was.
From what I understand, the name comes from the sound the vegetables make in the pan while they are cooking. I must have a different kind of pan, because I didn’t hear any bubbles or squeaks. But no matter.
This dish is quite versatile as well. One of those that turns out just a little different for everyone who makes it. Why? Because you can pretty much change it to your liking, and still end up with a great dish.
This would have been just as good with some lean ground turkey meat or beef mixed in. For vegetarians, a little tofu or TVP would have worked equally well.
I can’t say enough about this recipe. It will definitely be a staple in my home from now on.
BUBBLE AND SQUEAK RECIPE
Bubble And SqueakPrint Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- ½ large green cabbage (cored and sliced)
- 1 ½ cups chopped red onion
- 2 cups chopped white potato (russet potato)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean and chop your cabbage, the onion.
- Grate your potato.
- Place olive oil and onion in a frying pan and cook the onions until translucent. The more you can caramelize them, the more flavor this dish will have.
- When the onions are finished cooking, add your cabbage and potato and cook covered until the cabbage and potato are cooked through and soft. Cook for 2-3 minutes longer, uncovered, to get a bit of browning. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I also sprinkled mine with sesame seeds)