Love venison? Give this stew a try! While it wasn’t my personal favorite, the boys in my house went crazy for it!
I’ve never had venison before. But any time it’s been mentioned on my Facebook page, the response has been huge. There are a lot of you venison lovers out there! I have to admit that since I do not like beef, I was pretty hesitant to give this recipe a shot because people have always told me that the flavor is very similar.
But knowing how many venison fans I have that read my blog, I thought I’d give it a try at least once. I essentially treated it just like I would treat beef and it turned out really well.
I have to admit that I personally did not care for it. The broth was good, but I didn’t like the meat. The boys in my house however… To say it was a HUGE hit with them is a massive understatement! So I have to chalk it up to my dislike of beef and say that this recipe is a tasty alternative to beef stew.
HOW TO MAKE VENISON STEW
The truth is, there is no big secret here. You make venison stew just like you would any other stew! Treated similarly to beef, you simply cut up the meat into stew-size chunks, brown the meat and then proceed with making your stew. Easy!
MORE HEALTHY STEW RECIPES:
Remember to subscribe to my free, Gracious Pantry Newsletter to receive all my latest recipes in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
VENISON STEW RECIPE:
Venison Stew Recipe
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 lb. baby carrots
- 1 small sweet potato (peeled and cut into stew-size chunks)
- 1/4 lb. mushrooms
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (no sugar added)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. pepper corns OR ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 lb. backstrap venison (cut into stew size pieces)
- salt to taste after cooking
- Sauté the onion, carrots, and sweet potatoes in the olive oil.
- Add in all ingredients except the venison and bring to a boil.
- In a separate pan, brown the venison.
- Once the sweet potatoes and carrots begin to soften, add the venison into to stew and cook until fully cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve.