This summer squash casserole recipe makes a wonderful summer-time side dish!
One of my most popular recipes of all time is my roasted summer squash recipe. It’s been on my blog for years and still gets repined, tweeted and shared on Facebook a lot. It’s just one of those recipes that people love!
I think part of why it’s such a popular recipe is that many people grow their own veggies in summer, and I think most of us know that summer squash can be prolific. So recipes for this squash are in need every summer and I didn’t want to go another year without creating another one for you guys to enjoy.
Now, I used almond milk simply because I’m dairy free. But regular milk will work here too. And I will say that while this has nice flavor, I really enjoyed it far more with some salt. So keep that salt shaker handy at the table.
This makes a nice, veggie side-dish for just about any meal. I paired it with fish and a salad, but it really goes with pretty much anything. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
MORE HEALTHY SQUASH RECIPES
SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE RECIPE:
Recipe adapted from: Jans Sushi Bar
Summer Squash Casserole Recipe
- 4 cups yellow summer squash (sliced)
- 4 cups zucchini (sliced)
- ½ cup yellow onion (chopped small)
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp. oil
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. dried sage
- ¾ cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup almond flour (or low carb baking mix – see link above)
- ¼ cup raw hemp seeds (hemp hearts
- salt to taste at serving
- Roughly chop the garlic and onions.
- Sauté the onions in the oil until translucent, then add the garlic and sauté for one more minute.
- Slice the squash to about a 1/4 inch thickness. Keep the thickness uniform for even baking.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the spices, almond milk, egg and almond flour which a whisk.
- Then whisk in the onions and garlic.
- Oil a casserole dish and begin layering the squash with the onion mixture.
- Top with the raw hemp seeds and bake at 350 F. for about 50 minutes or until the squash is soft and cooked through.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve.
- Salt and pepper to taste.