Going low carb right before the holidays can be a brilliant plan for avoiding holiday weight gain. It can also be an overwhelming challenge because you still want to enjoy all your holiday favorites with family and friends. In fact, I’m still not sure if going this route at this time of year is a sign of pure genius, or pure insanity.
I recently shared my Clean Eating Eggnog recipe on Facebook and that got me to thinking about how I would enjoy this drink without all the carbs for Christmas. Christmas is a big holiday at my mom’s house and usually comes with a buffet of delicious, not-so-clean foods that could tempt the gods. So what is a mere mortal supposed to do? Start converting recipes like a madwoman, that’s what. And I’m starting with the eggnog.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure liquid stevia, or more to taste after cooking if needed
- 1 tsp teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (more to taste after cooking)
- 1 cups unsweetened almond milk (homemade is best)
- Blend all ingredients in a blender for about 1 minute.
- Pour into a medium pot.
- Warm over medium heat. The moment it becomes warm, reduce to the lowest heat setting. If you have a simmer burner on your stove, all the better.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir gently, slowly and continuously for 8-10 minutes.
- CRITICAL: Do not let this boil! You want it hot, but not boiling or even simmering. The very second this boils, you will have scrambled eggs instead of eggnog. It’s sensitive stuff, so give it your full attention.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve sprinkled with fresh cinnamon