This Italian quinoa salad is a simple twist on a cookbook recipe.
The original recipe called for Orzo. But the store didn’t have any whole grain Orzo, so I subbed with quinoa for a quick, delicious dinner. It was simple to make, and made a wonderful salad for the whole family.
This is a light but hearty salad that makes a wonderful meal on it’s very own. It will also pair nicely with either fish, beef or chicken, my particular favorite being chicken.
On its own it has plenty of complete protein thanks to the quinoa, which has all 9 essential amino acids. Plant-based folks will be very happy with this as a complete meal. It’s also a great dish to share at gatherings or office pot lucks because it will pair well with any number of dishes. So make a big pot, share and enjoy!
MORE HEALTHY QUINOA RECIPES:
ITALIAN QUINOA SALAD RECIPE:
Recipe adapted with permission from: Skinny Suppers by Brooke Griffin.
Italian Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (about a 1/2 cup rinsed and cooked to package directions)
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (look for low or no sodium)
- 15 oz. can chickpeas (rinsed and drained or homemade)
- 6 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 small English cucumber (diced fine)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 tbsp. fresh, chopped basil
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prep all your ingredients, then simply mix them all together in a large mixing bowl. This can be served warm or cold, as a side dish or vegetarian main meal.