These cookies are the perfect treat for little ones. Filled with whole, nutritious ingredients, you can feel good about giving your wee one a cookie.
These are not overly sweet as they are adjusted for little taste buds. In fact, if you prefer, you could even leave the sweetener out completely. But I found that a tiny bit of maple syrup went a long way in bringing out the sweetness and flavor of the other ingredients.
Now please understand that I’m not necessarily advocating that all kids should be grain free. But what I am trying to do here is offer options for kids who can’t have grains, whether because of dietary restrictions or simply because you are raising your children without them. Whatever the reason, these are a wonderful treat for the very young.
Note: Please keep in mind these will not taste overly wonderful to the average adult. These are for kids who have mastered eating solids, but are not yet big enough to handle more adult style treats.
Clean Eating Grain Free Spice Cookies
(Yield: approximately 16 cookies)
- 1 cup sun flower seed flour (see instructions below)
- 1/4 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 2 tsp. maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Scant 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Scant 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until all ingredients are incorporated and you have a semi-wet batter.
- Spoon onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. The cookies should be no bigger than a vanilla wafer.
- Flatten them a bit. They will not spread during baking so you can place them relatively close together on the cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 F. for 20 minutes.
SUNFLOWER SEED FLOUR
This is a very simple process. Just empty a bag of sunflower seed into a food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes, or until you have flour. Note that it will be slightly more coarse than regular flour.