As with oatmeal, eggs can get kind boring, kinda quickly. But as with oatmeal, the possibilities are pretty endless when it comes to additions and flavorings.
This recipe came from a desperate attempt to feed Mini Chef one morning when I just had a small amount of produce and some eggs to get creative with. He topped his off with a little tomato sauce, but parmesan cheese works well too.
Clean Eating Egg White Veggie Omelet
(Makes 1 serving)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup raw spinach
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated zucchini
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Put the olive oil in a large frying pan and warm pan over low to medium heat.
- Add the spinach, onion, garlic, zucchini and mushrooms. Stir continuously. If you keep the heat low, you shouldn’t need any more oil.
- When the mushrooms have wilted, stir in the eggs and scramble them with the veggies.
- When the eggs are cooked, quickly add the parmesan, scramble briefly to distribute and then form into an omelette.
- Place Omelet on plate and top with tomatoes.