I’ve been on a casserole kick lately and this clean eating cheesy Mexican chicken casserole recipe is my latest endeavor.
Maybe it’s the unusually chilly California weather right now or maybe it’s just that I’ve been really craving cheese lately, I’m not sure. But I’ve been making them almost every night for dinner. I think Mini Chef may actually be getting a little sick of them to tell you the truth, but I figure as long as I mix it up in the flavor department, he can hang in there for another week at least while mom gets this casserole thing out of her system.
But seriously though, these fast and easy casseroles are really becoming a thing for me. Casseroles are so comforting this time of year too. Something warm and cozy coming out of the oven on a cold night totally makes me feel all homey and comfy. This clean eating cheesy Mexican chicken casserole recipe was enough for 2 dinners and lunch for us, plus I stuck some in the freezer for another night. I think I need to focus on making smaller casseroles so that we don’t have to eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Probably a good place to start. Good thing this was so tasty!
The amount of cheese you use is totally up to you. Make it even cheesier by mixing a second cup of cheddar into the casserole mix before topping it with the final layer of cheese if you like. It would be delicious! Also, casserole does have a bit of liquid, particularly right after you pull it out of the oven. But I love the “sauce” and simply scooped it up with the casserole onto the plate as you can see above. It was marvelous!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING CHEESY MEXICAN CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE:
Clean Eating Cheesy Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 (12 oz.) jar clean salsa (whatever your favorite is)
- 2 (12 oz.) packages cauliflower (frozen, riced)
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes (with juice, no sugar added)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup shredded, sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cilantro (fresh, chopped & optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cut the chicken into small, bite-sized pieces and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- To the bowl add the salsa, cauliflower, tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and chili powder. Stir well to combine.
- Transfer the whole mixture to an oiled casserole dish (mine was 8" x 9"). Sprinkle the cheese over the top and cover the casserole dish tightly with foil.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until fully cooked through. The chicken should be at least 165 F. on a meat thermometer.
- Allow to casserole to sit for 20-30 minutes to allow the liquid to settle a bit (it won't go away completely. It makes a great sauce to ladle over the top!)
- Serve topped with fresh chopped cilantro or even a side of chopped avocado and a fresh green salad.