This barbecue chicken pizza roll is a delicious option for game day!
While I’m proud of every recipe I have posted on this blog, there are a few that stand out for me. A few recipes that jump out in my increasingly forgetful mind and say, “Oh yaaa! That’s goooood!”. And yes, this Barbecue Chicken Pizza Roll is one of them.
Having never had a store-bought pizza roll before, I have to say that I really have no basis for comparison. All I can tell you, is that this is the kind of recipe that even women will venture into the man-cave for. A saucy, tangy, barbeque-y roll of chicken-y goodness. And yes, I did just use the word, “chickeny”. Let’s move on, shall we?
This recipe is actually a recipe that I did as a guest poster for Babble.com back in 2011. They have since moved the recipe so I’ll post it here. Hope you enjoy it!
MORE CLEAN EATING RECIPES:
CLEAN EATING BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA ROLL RECIPE:
Clean Eating BBQ Chicken Roll
- 1 batch clean eating pizza dough (see link above)
- 1/2 cup clean barbecue sauce (purchased mine, but you can also make the sauce at the link above)
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 lb. crimini mushrooms
- 3 medium shallots
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (+extra for greasing the baking sheet)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breasts in the oven with 1 tbsp. bbq sauce on each breast. Bake until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. on a thermometer. (about 30-40 minutes. Time varies by oven)
- While the chicken bakes, slice the mushrooms and dice the shallots. Sauté in a pan with the olive oil.
- Grease the cookie sheet and roll out the dough until it covers the entire sheet.
- Spread on the bbq sauce, being sure to leave about an inch of raw (no sauce) dough all the way around.
- Spread on the mushrooms over the sauce.
- When the chicken is done, shred it with two forks and toss onto the pizza roll, over the mushrooms.
- Top everything with the mozzarella.
- At one of the narrow ends, begin rolling the dough up like a carpet until you have a nice “log”. Seal the end by turning the roll slightly on the cookie sheet so that it sits on the end piece of the dough. This will seal it as it bakes. Pinch off the ends so your filling does not leak out during baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes. The crust will be firm.
- Slice and serve topped with a little extra bbq sauce.