As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
As many of you know, I’m currently in culinary school. And while the last day of my knife skills class is tomorrow, I would have to say that I’ve learned the most in this class so far simply because it’s been so hands-on. I got lots of practice time in this class and I was able to bring that knowledge home and put it to good use.
One of the things I practiced a lot was a Batonette (bat-ton-nay) cut and a 1/4 inch dice. A Batonette cut is a cut that is 1/4 x 1/4 x 2″, and a 1/4 inch dice is a dice cut that is 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 inch. Ya, we’re talking tiny. But I had to perfect it and the only way to really get it down was to practice at home. So this chili was the recipe I practiced with. I cut the butternut and the rutabaga into a 1/4 inch dice. It was a lot of work and took a lot of time. But the result was worth it and hey…. I’m now really good at a 1/4 inch dice!
And the veggies are truly autumn veggies which always makes me happy in the kitchen AND at the table!
This would be excellent served with a side of whole grain garlic bread and a salad.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Clean Eating Pumpkin Turkey Chili
- Clean Eating Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Clean Eating Vegan 4 Bean Chili
- 3 cups (390g) diced rutabaga
- 3 cups (425g) diced butternut squash
- 6 oz. (170g) package cremini mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 medium (200g) red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 tsp. sucanat (optional)
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 cups (946 ml) chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste after cooking
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil. You want to shoot for caramelizing the onions.
- When the onions become translucent, add the sucanat (optional) to help caramelize the onions further.
- Add the turkey to the pan and cook just long enough to brown the meat.
- In a separate, medium pot, combine the chicken broth, rutabaga and butternut, and bring them to a boil.
- Stir in the meat mixture and all the spices.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft. About 20-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool a bit and serve.