This time of year, everything on the internet gets flavored with pumpkin spice. There are a thousand memes out there to attest to the fact.
But lets face it, there is a really good reason for that. It’s just so darn GOOD!!! And after a long summer of sweat and hot sun rays, it signifies the beautiful season of fall.
Pumpkin spice brings up images of bon fires, sweaters, boots and yes… pumpkin pie as well as other seasonal desserts. It’s a sure sign that the holidays are on their way. A time of year that is supposed to be happy and filled with family and friends and wonderful gatherings and parties.
So with those thoughts and images in mind, I got to work on this fabulous french toast casserole. Because honestly, what foods this time of year DON’T go well with pumpkin spice??
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Clean Eating Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- Clean Eating Eggnog French Toast Casserole
- Clean Eating Irish Soda Bread & Buttermilk French Toast Casserole
Clean Eating Pumpkin Spice French Toast Casserole Recipe
- 12 cups cubed whole grain bread
- 6 whole, large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (regular milk works too)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice, no sugar added
- 1 cup crushed pecans for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Oil and 8 x 11 casserole dish and put the bread cubes into it. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour the mixture over the bread, being sure to gently stir or toss the bread in the pan to ensure that all pieces soak up some of the mixture. It’s okay if there is a little liquid in the bottom of the dish. You just want to be sure that all the bread gets saturated.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes (will vary by oven), or until all the liquid is gone and the bread has a nice, golden brown tint to it. The idea is to fully cook the egg.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve with a bit of additional maple syrup and some pecans if you like.
Number of servings (yield): 6-8