It’s October!!!! I say that with the biggest grin on my face ever!! I love this month with such ferverence that it’s rubbed off on Mini Chef as well. We both dearly look forward to this month of hay bales, pumpkins, turning leaves and bon fires. In fact, the thought of those things is often the only thing that gets me through my least favorite season of the year, summer.
I know, I know. That’s sacrilege for some of you. But I’ve never been a summer lover or sun worshipper. My skin is too pale for all that nonsense. I can say with almost total sincerity that I glow in the dark. Seriously, I couldn’t tan if my life depended on it. So I choose to enjoy those months where the level of brown on my California skin is not judged or questioned.
And yes, Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday of the year too. I often decorate for it in September just so that I can enjoy it a little longer. This year, I may not be able to go “all out” the way I have in years past just because I’m still trying to get my house in order after my mom’s passing. But that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy some delicious, Halloween-inspired treats! In fact, I’d be willing to bet you’d enjoy these too. Give em’ a try! They make a fun presentation while offering a sweet treat that’s just a little bit healthier this holiday season. I know, I know… there I go with that sacrilege again…
What can I say. I’m a die hard clean eater. Even at Halloween!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Clean Eating Peanut Brittle
- Clean Eating Grain Free Chocolate Coffin Bread
- Clean Eating Monster Mash Popsicles
Clean Eating Graveyard Dirt Cupcakes Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup safflower or grape seed oil (any light flavored oil will work)
- 1 whole, large egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
GRAVEYARD DIRT INGREDIENTS INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup sucanat
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flour, baking soda, sald and pumpkin pie spice. Then add in all remaining cupcake ingredients. Pour batter into papered cupcake pan and bake at 350 F. for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a small bowl, mix together the graveyard dirt until the sucanat is well coated in cocoa powder.
- When the muffins are finished and cooled, cut off the muffin tops to create a flat surface and sprinkle graveyard dirt over the top. Top with a skeleton of your choosing.
Number of servings (yield): 16 standard muffins