I had actually created this recipe for a seasonal cookbook I was working on, and the cookbook concept wasn’t viable. So I ended up with a bunch of recipes that I can share with you here instead!
You can certainly make this just as you would any grilled cheese sandwich. But if you are going to make this at home, I highly recommend wrapping in foil and tossing it in the oven for a big. You can always unwrap it for a few minutes to get a crunchier bread if you with. Just remember to spread a little butter on there so it can crisp up.
The directions below are for making this on a fire pit. These are a great make-ahead meal to pack in a cooler. So the next time you go camping or even grill in the back yard, keep this little goodie in mind. It’s delish!
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY:
- Clean Eating Grownup Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Clean Eating Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Clean Eating Iron Grilled Goat Cheese & Strawberry Sandwich – Great for college students!
Clean Eating Fire Pit Thyme And Apple Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices clean bread
- 1 large apple
- 3 to 6 (hand-sliced) slices cheddar cheese
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- Slice the apple into 1/16” slices or thinner. A mandolin would be a good choice for this.
- Layer the cheese slices with apple slices in between, making sure that the first and last layers of your sandwich are cheese.
- Lastly, using your fingers, sprinkle just a pinch of thyme and garlic powder over the last layer of cheese.
- Complete the sandwich with the second slice of bread and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Place the packet in some hot coals, on the grill, or use tongs to hold it over a camp fire.
- Once the cheese is melted, it’s done! Serve with remaining apple slices cut in half as a side garnish.
Number of servings (yield): 1